I wanted to make something simple, delicious and original. I found this recipe in Sunset Magazine, care of a reader cookie submission contest. These looked delicious and came in second place!
- YIELD: Makes 54 sandwich cookies
- TOTAL:2 Hours, 15 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 to 1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread such as Nutella
2. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion between sheets of parchment paper into a 1/8-in.-thick round. Stack and freeze rounds on a baking sheet until dough is firm enough to cut, about 20 minutes.
3. Lift off parchment, cut dough with a floured 1 1/2- to 2-in.-wide cutter, and transfer to ungreased baking sheets, spacing slightly apart. Gather scraps, refreeze, and reroll as needed.
4. Bake cookies until light golden, 10 to 14 minutes, switching pan positions halfway through baking. Transfer to racks to cool.
5. Spread half of cookies on flat sides with a generous coat of chocolate hazelnut spread, then top each with a second cookie.
Make ahead: Up to 3 days, stored airtight.
Note: Nutritional analaysis is per 1 1/2-in. sandwich cookie.
- Calories: 83
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 0.7g
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 9g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 26mg
- Cholesterol: 9.1mg